You don't have to starve or workout 24-7 to lose weight; there are healthy and quick methods to drop the pounds!
Fad diets for weight loss come out all the time: the grapefruit diet, liquid-only diet, and a variety of others that leave out food groups or require you to eat only small portions or take yucky, un-filling potions!
These sounded appealing and neat at one time to me. Just eat soups and drink liquids for three weeks and yes! Weight loss! No one explains that you are losing lean muscle tissue and your metabolism will slow. Keeping track of your BMI would reveal this to you!
This type of diet might work for detoxification if the liquids are balanced with electrolytes, fats, proteins and carbohydrates.
But cutting out proteins or other necessities for your body and its systems is dangerous and will backfire when you go back to your normal eating patterns.
There are healthy, simple and more effective ways to get rid of excess weight.
One way is to exercise and burn about 500 calories each day for a week, you will lose about 1-2 pounds. You can do this in many ways such as:
- Do some type of intense cardio like Zumba for 1 hour at your best effort
- 50 minutes on a cross-country ski machine like a Nordic Treck
- One hour on the stair stepper or rowing machine
- Swimming for an hour
Some other weight loss basics and tips are:
- The basics for losing weight are to eat less and exercise more. If you are over 250 lbs. then cutting your calories down to 1100-1200 per day and exercising for about 1 hour a day will help you to drop about 3-5 lbs. in the first couple of weeks.
- Don't lose more than 1-2 pounds per week or you are most likely losing lean muscle unless you are obese you will lose more and at a faster rate
- Limiting salt and starches at first will help you to lose motly fluid weight you are retaining
- Limit starches, sugars and animal fat from meat and dairy foods in your diet.
- Drink lots of water with lemon or citrus fruit slices. Citrus is known to boost the metabolism.
- Eat at least 6 mini meals per day; don't let yourself get hungry or eat fatty or starchy snacks.
- Keep a food diary or journal because it forces you to pay attention to what you are putting in your mouth and discourages mindless eating and snacking.
- Keep track also of how you are feeling when you eat to help stay away from emotional eating.
- And remember: to lose weight, eat to live, don't live to eat!
Remember: losing the excess pounds is a commitment to changing the way you eat, some of your habits and behaviors as well as a commitment to exercise and becoming fitter.
Check out the video below for some valuable tips on how to lose weight faster: